Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Three months in

Well, I'm in the thick of it now.   By now, not drinking has become the norm and drinking seems weird.  Life's been a bit stressful lately, for reasons I won't get into here.  It's ok though, I need to go through some of that without having a case of beer to run to.  It's all part of it I guess.

I'm going to Las Vegas with my wife in a couple weeks.  It's funny, this will be my first trip to Vegas without a drop of alcohol.  I went there when I was 15.  I ordered a strawberry daiquiri at the pool, assuming the bartender would make me a nonalcoholic one.  I was wrong, and got the real thing.  Split with two friends, I think I only had a sip. Funny though that I will drink nothing on this trip.

Its funny, I need to start thinking about my cholesterol.  Studies have shown that two drinks per day greatly increases levels of good cholesterol.  They are quick to report, however, that three or more drinks per day greatly increases the chance of liver disease, heart failure, and blah blah blah.  Its like even the doctors are looking at you and saying "why can't you just have a couple?"  Talk about walking a fine line.  Geez.  Just figure out whatever is in the booze that is raising your good levels, and put it in a pill.  "Four out of five doctors recommend phillips brand vodka with your cereal to start your day off right."

I'll stick to exercise, thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Now you doctors have been telling us to drink 8 cups of gravy a day."

    Alcohol is just one of many ways to increase good cholesterol. I had my health check and was looking for ways to increase it as well. I'm sure you have found information online, but here's a good one:

    http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/raiseHDL.htm

    Just remember. If you're not sure, just rub your food against a piece of paper. If the paper turns clear, it's your window to success!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HDL can be raised by exercise, it releases enzymes in the blood that raise the HDL, some research also shows that omega 3's can increase this as well.

    It's hard being a women, All within the same material I read that a drink per day can decrease our chance of heart disease where alcoholic consuption in general increases our risk of breast cancer by a certain percentage. Sometimes we have to pick out battles.

    ReplyDelete