Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hello World!

I will start by saying that I am not an alcoholic.  I want the world to understand that alcoholics who try to fight their addiction and are able to overcome it have my utmost respect.  I am not claiming to be one, and therefore I will not compare myself or my situation to that of an actual alcoholic.

That being said, I am also certainly not the kind of person who rarely drinks.  Since sometime around March it is safe to say that I have only experienced 4 or 5 days that were completely alcohol free.  Most of the time it is only two or three beers, or a glass or two of wine.  Weekends or holidays it can get to 6-10 drinks in a day.  Then there are the nights that shoot into the teens, and these occur every few weeks or so.

I also want the world to know that I have quit drinking three times before.  The first two times I made it 6 months, and the third time was around 3 months.  Each time I learned more about myself and the world around me, so I plan to share a number of things from those occasions as well.

--Ground Rules--
1.  No drinking means no alcohol, period. This includes difficult situations like New Years Eve, wedding toasts, even celebrating a newborn child.

2. No other drugs.  There are probably things for alcoholics that would serve the same purpose as a "nicotine patch" would for smokers.  I will not be using anything like this either.


Thats all I can think of for rules.  I hope you find this entertaining and educational.  Seeing as how it is only August 22, I think I will pour me some wine.  See you soon.

Wes W. Whalberg

7 comments:

  1. Welcome! I am the first to comment!!! :) It will be interesting to read my own husband's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ground rules states no alcohol period. Then you end with,"I think I will pour me some wine."
    Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't quite drinking! What about our staring contest? And the way we always knew what football coaches shoulda done?

    Seriously though I'm routing for you. Stay away from Lithuanian weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Wes. I will be rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry Wes but there is no way you are 5'10

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete