Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reason 2: Time


It's funny, when I announce these plans some of the first comments I get are from women who have had children.  They say, "it's easy, I went nine months no problem" or "My guy was waiting with a six pack after the delivery, I couldn't wait to have a beer:)".  Of course if I had a child inside me that would be harmed by my drinking, I'd like to think it would be easier.  Particularly, you wouldn't have a ton of people offering you drinks everywhere you go.  In fact, it would be the opposite.  Anyone seeing you drinking while pregnant would probably try to take the drink away (one would hope).  I'm not trying to offend anyone who has had a child, no doubt quitting drinking was at least somewhat challenging anyway, and I don't want to dismiss that.  I will have a different experience is all.  I will go deeper into challenges next week.

So, about Time...  Drinking heavy on a Friday night throws off your Saturday.  Drinking heavy on a Saturday night throws off your Sunday and usually sneaks into your workweek as well.  Because you either sleep in late on Sunday or wake up so early hungover that you take a nap Sunday afternoon, you don't get the right sleep Sunday night for a proper Monday morning.

But there are subtler things going on too.  I can function in some capacity with three beers - I can work on a presentation, I can read, or I can research online, that sort of thing.  But chances are I am not going to go for a jog or tackle anything heavy or complicated after a few beers.  It usually ends up being the wind down of the evening.  Little things don't get done during the week, so they take up my weekend.

The first thing you will notice about not drinking through the first weekend is how much longer it feels.  You may fill that time with whatever you want, but I plan to use it to handle some of the areas and activities I have been wanting to do but felt I never had time.  Combined with the money saved (previous post) this could mean boxing lessons, piano lessons, or Lithuanian lessons.  It could also mean nothing at all, but the time will be there now where before it was not.

4 comments:

  1. Time is money, money is time worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. Drinking Friday makes it pretty much inevitable to drink Saturday. And the same thing happens to me Sunday night. I sleep in on Sunday, take a nap from the hangover, and more often than not, I roll around, tossing and turning Sunday night because I can't get to sleep because I'm not tired from sleeping in and am still hungover. Having to get up early the next morning to start a week of work is tough. Make that into a weekly routine and you've got a dangerous recipe for disaster. And yes, when you stop, you find you have a LOT of time that was otherwise spent drinking and recovering. For me it was Friday after work all the way until Tuesday morning.

    And no offense ladies, but this is harder. I commend you mothers for what you do. But like Wes said, having a ready made excuse does make it different.

    -Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more on the increase in efficiency from drinking less, or eliminating it completely. Drinking on a given night completely wipes out any productivity for the next day.

    ReplyDelete