Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reason 5: Growth

I've already touched on a lot of growth opportunities.  My wife, Audra, is from Lithuania by the way.  You will hear more about her later.  What I mean by growth here is more about wisdom.  A long time ago I came up with an idea that I called "structured wisdom".  People can take college classes in high school to learn more ahead of the rest of the class, they can get advanced degrees to get promoted ahead of their peers, but all the while, it seems people only acquire wisdom with time and experience - and some do not even do that.

So, if people can be oblivious and go their lives without gaining wisdom, it seems logical that I can speed up the process as well.  One way is by purposefully putting myself in situations that wise people tell you to avoid, "lest you learn the hard way".  Also, you have to listen to what wise people say, and watch what they do.  Remember, I said wise - not old.  Wise people often have tempered souls from going through years of trying times.  If you go a few years without having trying times, you will get soft (Rocky 3).

I expect that going a year without drinking will be difficult for me, but will not harm me, and so, it will "build character" so to speak.  Think of it as preventative maintenance on my soul, like a regular oil change on my car.  If I regularly subject myself to challenging situations in a somewhat controlled environment, when I am faced with real challenges, real hardships, my soul will be that much more prepared to deal with it.

I could go on with reasons, but that will be it for now.  I hope that at least one if these reasons made sense to the world.  Next I will move to the five greatest challenges I foresee.  Remember, I am committed to this year, but I have been committed before - and there is a reason I started drinking again the past three times.  I may not make it...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl, I talked with Myke a lot on the trip and this is one of the things he told me as well. It's very good advice. This is the first time I decided to set a timeline to it - whether I go beyond or not is still a question, but in the beginning, it will be just a day at a time. Thanks for your support, I hope to keep things interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an old saying,"Speak of the devil and there he is."
    If your going to quit something, you need to keep your mind away from it.
    I smoked cigarettes for over 35 years. Thinking about smoking was agonizing, while learning to quit.
    It was tuff, but I was tuffer!
    I got motivated. I had support! I endured to persevere.
    My Dr. was amazed that I had quit.
    It's been almost 10 years, and I still can't go there, I run from it.
    (Better to be a healthy chicken, than a sick tiger!)
    Part of getting wisdom is looking for it.

    ReplyDelete