Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Identifying triggers

I have run across a couple of triggers lately that have made me want to drink.  So yes, to any of you out there who think I am just coasting through this dry spell, think again.  Today I had a relatively stressful day - it was not negative stress, in fact a lot of cool things happened today.  It was like when I used to wait tables on a Sunday and not have a single mistake.  The payoff then, however, was always taking my apron off at the end of the shift and counting my tips.  One, two, three.... oh thats right, ten bucks off that six-top... 121,122, 123, and dang, I start feeling pretty darn good about my day and go home happy.

The problem is, now when I get home there is no money counting, no apron, and the stories are different too.  I used to be able to tell my parents about a terrible table that came in to my section, and I could go into every detail and they would understand.  I could go to my buddies that night and tell the same story, then to my girlfriend and tell it again.  Now I am lucky if there are a handful of people who I could tell my work stories to.

What happened today?  Well, we were trying to find the most efficient way to pendant mount a fixture so that the conveyors don't interfere with.... aw hell, who cares, right?  To much back story to get to a punchline.

What do I mean about all this?  Alcohol is a common language we all speak.  We can all clang glasses to a job well done, be it waiting tables, auditing an account book, designing a circuit board, or selling medical supplies to distributors.  Perfect scene in "Office Space" where Peter and Lawrence are talking about "The case of the Mondays" - both havin a beer after a rough day, totally different careers.

Thanks for listening, by the way, I am happy to see I have an audience:)

5 comments:

  1. You know what you need is a night out. The MN Wild is having their season opener tomorrow night. You should go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes

    Just read every post in your blog. We share some things in common, although I haven't gone to the trouble of reenacting my first drinking experiences (when I was 14 if anyone is interested).

    I'm almost 6 months in, as you know. It does get easier. I almost never think about alcohol in terms of drinking it. But I agree you have to use the time you get from alcohol wisely, or it will just pass and you will not have gotten as much out of your experience as you would have liked. In my case, I'm trying to really ramp up the exercise. Nothing better than getting up on a Saturday morning and exercising when in the alternative - sliding doors - universe, you would be feeling like crap and wanting a meat pie (or whatever the American version of this is).

    One thing I have very much tried to do is not to be judgmental about people who do drink. There is no right or wrong here - studies show people who drink in moderation live longer and are healthier than people who don't, so there goes the moral high ground. And it is a shitload of fun. But we obviously have our reasons for giving this a go. I have no regrets, pretty much. I'm personally much healthier for it, and it is just the beginning from that perspective for me.

    Interestingly I don't care at all about the cost savings. Or not much. I didn't stop drinking because of the amount of money I was spending.

    One other thing you do notice is how disgraceful really pissed people are. They slur, they stumble, they grope, they think they are funny when really, they are anything but. My biggest fear out of all of that is the suspicion that that was me on countless occasions.

    Anyway mate, thanks for checking out my blog, and I will watch your journey with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another blog http://myyearoffthepiss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea if you do a google search, there are a few out there.

    http://ayearoffthebooze.blogspot.com/

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2231935552
    "Things are looking bad..I had a dream last night I was doing Jagermeister shots at pub 101. "

    ReplyDelete