Thursday, October 7, 2010

One down, Eleven to go

Hard to believe a month has gone by already.  I would assume that one whole month without a drink is a stretch for all but the lightest drinkers, but I don't know that.  What I do know is that the thought of having a drink still stays on the front of my mind more often than I would like.

I have also noticed my garbage can does not fill up nearly as much..  I am a catalyst in the house - if I don't drink, Audra and Gabriele don't drink (as much) and Steve (Gabriele's boyfriend) doesn't drink as much (here).  So my garbage has been spared one month - I imagine roughly 12 bottles of wine, 96 bottles of beer, and a bottle or so of vodka between the four of us.

One month assessment: I am sleeping better, I have not gained or lost an ounce of weight, nor have I learned the piano, lithuanian, or written a stand-up comedy act.  I have begun a minor workout routine, but nothing to brag about.

Miss the most? The taste of a beer while leaning against my birch tree in the backyard after a good day of work.

Miss the least? The tab.

6 comments:

  1. 2 months with no drinks at all is the longest I have gone and not a day went by that I didn't think about drinking. It drove me nuts that it could affect my thinking so much. Especially near the weekends. It seemed like you think about it more when you are not drinking than when you are. How do you use your mind to control your mind, what you are thinking about. Like trying not to think too much when you are laying in bed because thinking is keeping you awake.

    But you have made it 3 months once and 6 months twice. How was it then? Does it get easier or harder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was like a hyperbolic curve (suspension bridge cable) where it was difficult the first few weeks, then it got really easy for several months, then towards the end it felt like it was time to end. As soon as I decided might be time to end, I really wanted a drink.

    I think entitlement rather than boredom is my biggest weakness - the feeling that someone as responsible as myself deserves to have a drink whenever he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm going out, to get drunk, because I deserve to get drunk. And get outa my way."

    Yea that's how it was for me. Tough, then easy after a weekend or 2, then it got increasingly tougher after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen to you guys! It sounds silly! You're going to do what you want, so if you want to take a break from drinking you will.
    You've already wrote your excape clause in the
    title word "brake" meaning the break will be over in a year,(11 months) and look at all the catching up you'll have to do!
    I say stop! You're deceving yourself, or masking
    the actual thing I think.
    If you want to leave something alone really, than leave it alone.Don't even go there.
    I quit smoking almost 9 years ago, I promised I
    would never smoke again. Talking about that is still not good. Best to keep away from it altogerther!
    (Just another opinion from dad)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't "not go there" without cutting a large part of my life out. I still go to the bar for happy hour, and I just came from a birthday party where they were toasting with shots of vodka!

    I opened this blog as a tool to help me stay on task while at the same time sharing my thoughts about the subject with any who may be interested, and maybe even help one or two people try it out for themselves.

    It's interesting, a lot more people come up to me and ask me what it's like or why I quit drinking than ever asked me what it's like or why I quit smoking. I'm never the one to bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a scary thing that "I will not drink again" decision. I don't think I'll eve make it. Even if I don't start drinking in 6 months (the end of my year), which is a big possibility, I'll still be on "a break". Forever is a long time, and I think if I get my life in order in various ways, I might end up enjoying a drink again, hopefully in moderation for the most part. This may take a while (eg years). But a retirement without a glass of wine at dinner? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete