Sunday, September 5, 2010

Enemy 3: The notion that life is short

How do you sell junk that isn't selling well?  Create the illusion of scarcity.  You only go around once, you may as well enjoy it while you can, right?  "Pretty soon you will have kids and you will be begging to go back to the days when you could go out and have a drink with no worries! " is what they tell me.  Maybe they are right.

The idea that you are missing out is a very powerful human emotion.  I can think of few others that are so often manipulated by the media, salesmen, or whoever, than the feeling of missing out.  Deal is good for two days only?  You're only young once?  Man.  Tough to argue that logic.  The truth is I have lots of time. I mean, sure, anyone could get hit by a bus tomorrow, but that isn't the point.  I can just as easily turn your argument on a dime and say "if life is so short, how come a year without alcohol feels so long?"  My twenties just ended, but they felt like they lasted forever.  I am a very different person than when I was 20. What I'm getting at is, if this year goes by and I feel like it was a stupid idea, I'll drink again, but I don't think I will regret not drinking for that one year for the rest of my life - and I do think I will have literally thousands of chances to make up for that lost time in the future.

Ok, easier said than done - because when you are there in the moment, everyone around you is having a good time, there is no element of danger from drinking and letting loose, it is very hard to convince yourself that you are not missing out on the party.  This enemy is only defeated by persistence and resolve - even downright stubbornness to not drink.

1 comment:

  1. I've read that you're,(we) are an eternal being, and I believe that.
    What you choose to do with your free will, will determine your eternity.
    Sometimes you figure some of this stuff out later on.
    There is time to kill today.. (and that logic will sink your boat.)
    Love life, move forward, be true. Seek wisdom,
    give thanks, stay humble. dad:)

    ReplyDelete