Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th seems like a different time to me.

I was drinking beer on September 11, 2001 with my friend Ryan.  I had all kinds of classes the next day to be studying for but I didn't do anything except drink beer and watch the television.  Nobody knew what was going to happen next.  Waking up the next morning was sad because you knew it was real.  The smoke had cleared and you saw the now iconic view of the seventy foot steel skeleton sticking up from a pile of rubble like swords.

Those buildings were immense.  Each one had their own zip code.  They alone could have housed a third of downtown Minneapolis' workforce.  I have a voice recording of me when I was 5 or 6 talking about building a lego tower as tall as them.  I think I had seen the new King Kong or something.

Everyone made it through the 5K today for ovarian cancer.  A real great showing of people.  I made it in 28:17 which was much better than I thought I would.

Audra and everyone came back to the house today after watching their basketball team lose to America at the bar.  I've added a small clip to show you how I would normally be right beside them, probably on my 5th or so drink right now.  We also have to go to a 30th birthday tonight, tons of people, in an outdoor shed style barn type thing.  It's the kind of party that will get loud and go late.  It's one of the hardest things to do right at the first week of being sober - making it through a long party like that, something that will go until 3 or 4 in the morning, and probably nobody knows I'm not drinking.  I'll just keep a glass of diet coke in my hand all night.

3 comments:

  1. It'll be better in the end when you get to keep your wits with you the whole night. Not waking up tomorrow morning with a severe hangover, having forgotten the second half of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell you what, it's a heck of a lot easier to stay on key singing karaoke when you don't have a bunch of drinks in you. I made it by the way, albeit with about 50 times turning down friends when they offered shots. I don't blame them, it's not normal for me to not take a shot when offered, so naturally they are taken aback. I need business cards for this blog to save the time explaining me thinks...

    ReplyDelete